I am a runner, I have been running 4-6 days a week for several years now. However, I’ve got a confession to make……………….
Before today I had not run in two weeks. And before that only a couple times a week for the last couple months. I just haven’t been able to make myself go! It’s been too cold, I’m too busy, I’ll go tomorrow, I’ve told myself these lies and more. I came down with the flu arround Christmas, and was UNABLE to run for 3 weeks. I had been training, since May, to run my first full marathon in March. Missing those three weeks set me way back, so much so that I knew I wouldn’t be ready, I have been bummed about it ever since. All that training, 20-40+ miles a week, now I have to start over! And that day is today! It was not fun, I was slow, it was hot, and my Ipod had no charge! So I spent all three miles reminding myself WHY I run. I get asked this question all the time, WHY? Well, in no particular order…….
- I can sleep if I run – I have never been a great sleeper, a good napper, but it is very hard for me to go to bed, and torture to stay there if I’m awake. But when I started running several years ago, suddenly I started sleeping 8 hours a night, and waking up rested, it’s great!! I run so I can sleep!
- I can eat whatever I want – I’m generally a really healthy eater, but boy do I have a sweet tooth! Candy, cakes, chocolate, cookies, I don’t discriminate. I give up sugar for months at a time, hoping I’ll lose the craving, hasn’t happened yet! I’ve been able to maintain the same weight and the same size for years, running does that for me. I run so I can eat!
- I LOVE clothes – I worked in an upscale dress shop all through college, and eventually bought it, so I’ve always had access to nice clothes. My kids joke that I ‘collect’ sundresses! I love always having something to wear, and not worrying if I look ‘fat’ in everything. I run so I can wear cute clothes!
- My insides are in great shape – I don’t have a great family history as far as cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure go. I was always told to watch it, since I’ve been running my numbers are AMAZING! Low, Low, Low, I run so that I can stay healthy!
- My husband still thinks I’m hot – We’ve been together 21 years, I’ve had two kids, and he still likes what I’m working with, it’s a nice feeling! I run for my husband!
- My kids think their mom is hip – After I finished my first half marathon, for that one day, my kids though I was a superhero. They are very supportive and proud of me. I love that! I run for my children!
- I feel like I’m part of a ‘cool’ group – Runners are awesome, they talk about pacing, distances, shoes, tech gear, cool stuff. They wear funny hats, flashy colors, enjoy a good sweat, and still look cool. I’ve never felt like the coolest girl in the room, I’ve always been a little shy, but running helps me find an inner confidence, an inner cool. I run because it’s ‘cool’!
- Running helps me manage stress – Life is hard! Working, mommy-ing, running a house, even being a wife, it’s tough. I tend to worry over things I can’t control, but running always makes me feel better. Mad, go for a run. Sad, go for a run. Frustrated, go for a run. Nervous, go for a run. Scared, go for a run. I’m always, always, always better for the effort, calmer ,and clear-headed. I run to release stress!
- Running is quiet time with the Lord – I listen to Christian music, pray, sometimes I’m just quiet before Him. I dedicate every run to Him, and give Him the glory that I can do it at all. I know that not everyone can run, and I never want to take for granted the gift. I run for HIM!
- Running gets me outside – I am a nester, I love a comfy seat, air conditioning, a good book, a knitting project, an old movie, relaxing! Running outside I breathe fresh air, feel the rain, cool winds and the warmth of the sun. I see birds, squirrels, dogs, cats, and on early summer mornings crabs all over the roads. Most days I feel just like a Disney Princess, communing with nature, only with better shoes! I run to experience outside!
These are a few reasons WHY I run,
WHY I hope that I always can,
and WHY I’ll lace up tomorrow.
WHY wouldn’t I run?